Saturday, June 7, 2014

"CALIFORNIA CHECKERED WHITE"


It took me some time this afternoon, to identify this butterfly.  I photographed it today while walking by a certain area on the path, where yesterday, I had the good luck of finding a sparrow drying off from its' bath.  I was hoping to find more song sparrows in this area but instead found this butterfly. 

An important thing I learned and never knew was the difference between a moth and a butterfly - that's where I had a problem - I kept trying to identify this as a moth.  Anyway - Butterflies are mostly brightly colored day-flying insects with long clubbed antennae and most moths fly at night and lack clubs at the end of their antennae.  

Will you remember this when you see a moth flying during the day with long clubbed antennae - that it isn't a moth - but a butterfly?  If you're like me you'll forget as soon as you read this.



 When I first moved here I loved to photograph birds - now everything catches my eye as a potential subject for a photograph.  I enjoy trying to identify what it is I come across.



Don't know what the flower is but this is a California Checkered White butterfly - whew!  - that took a long time today to find it on the net.













  I took a close up view and noticed the bluish yellowish body.  How pretty!



4 comments:

Out of Sight L said...

it's strange to me that people are so disgusted with moth even knowing that it'll turn into a beautiful butterfly, I think that when they suddenly appeared and touched you cheek and people move and scream, it's insane, I think the moth wants to be seen before she becomes beautiful, you photos are wonderful and the flowers, divine, beautiful post Sandy

sandy said...

thanks Lorraine -i think a lot of people scream at little things, moths, bees, pill bugs, etc. One of the things that makes me scream are potatoe bugs - those are creep-eeeeee!

Out of Sight L said...

I will admit to my total disgust of German cockroach oh it's so round and huge and oh yak lol

cat's momma said...

I'm trying to catch up on what you've posted ( a lot! ) in the last 2 or 3 days and am enjoying the variety...love the fluffy bird photos...and now the butterfly...so pretty!