Saturday, June 21, 2014

AMERICAN COOT BABIES

I've been patiently waiting - checking almost every day when we go to the lake - nothing!  No coot babies.  Hardly any coots are over there at all right now.

Today Mike asked if I wanted to take my grandson to Wood Grill buffet which is over in a different city down the mountain - and on the way there is a local lake we stop at whenever we are in the area.  Luckily we still had our duck food in the car.

I spotted a Coot baby in the reeds.  The timing couldn't have been better - they were old enough to swim in the water - but not old enough to lose their head fringe - the color which is orange-ish /red around the head fades within  6 days.  I think we probably only had one to two days before they would lose all their colors and look like a gray bird.  Probably one more day.

We had thrown food out for the geese but on closer inspection of the mom and baby coots - i realize that she was feeding them the food we brought.

Yes - ...I did take a lot of photos - here are some of them.

I may never get to see a baby coot again at this stage of their development - so  I made sure I took photos from every angle.



























































 I found after reading about coots that if the coots have green feet they are juveniles and brown feet they are older. 







8 comments:

Out of Sight L said...

WOW, Sandy these are so beautiful, so lovely such a part of nature, I'm so glad you found them, they are stunning. One Day I hope you find a publisher willing to put a book together of all the natural beauty... Stunning m'dear...who knows who's watching blogs???? ;)

Out of Sight L said...

Forgot to say your new heading is magical and oh such fun!!!

Out of Sight L said...

Before when I tried my e-mail and password it didn't work then I smartened up and remembered Google owns everything so I just pressed google and signed in easy breezy and what beautiful photos Laura has :)

sandy said...

thanks lorraine for your liking my baby coots! Hey - glad you figured it out - and I think that is what I did also last time. I'll see you at my sis'!

cat's momma said...

Oh, my, my, so bedraggled looking these youngsters are, so almost ugly they're cute, so lucky you were to get these great photos!

cat's momma said...

And I forgot to mention those feet! First time I saw a coot's feet was at Laguna Lake and I couldn't believe how gigantic they are! I always expect those coots to fall over...they look so unbalanced.

cat's momma said...

And one more thing: That banner creation is really cool, and I think I know where you went to do that online!

sandy said...

thanks L. Yes I probably made it at that one art place - can't remember where it is - i made it a long time ago.