Saturday, June 28, 2014

BIG BEAR ALPINE ZOO


Yesterday we took our grandson to Big Bear Alpine Zoo.  It is a place where animals are brought to recover from illness or injury or have been orphaned and need a refuge until they can be released back to the wild.  Here is a blurb about them

.....
Big Bear Alpine Zoo – “Saving wildlife since 1959”

The Big Bear Alpine Zoo is a rehabilitation facility offering injured, orphaned and imprinted wild animals a safe haven; temporarily while they heal or permanently as they are unable to survive on their own. We are extremely proud that 90% of all the animals brought to us for rehabilitation are successfully released back into their native environment. Those that remain with us on exhibit are either too injured or have been imprinted by humans and cannot be released back into the wild to care for themselves.
 ....


I really enjoyed being there even though it is a small zoo and I was expecting something bigger.  They are in the process of enlarging the zoo and it will be ready some time in 2015.



I even "adopted"  a beautiful wolf named "Spirit".  For $25.00 a year you can sponsor whatever animal you choose and Spirit won my heart.  I spent a lot of time at the wolf enclosure.  I'll share photos in another post. 

 I had a conversation with this great horned owl that "spoke" to me as I walked by his enclosure      I hear something  and look over at him.  I could have sworn he is talking to me....

- "pssst...come over here....hey lady....come here..."


I walk over and see him looking away.  Okay, I must be hearing things.








Hey lady - pssst.....come closer - I have a request of you.

"Okay"  I said to him...  "I'm listening what do you want to say,"..... not really believing that I'm talking to an owl. 

He looks so serious and replies, "....I'm in need of a big steak dinner and all they are feeding me here are mice and rats.  I need a little more variety in my life.  Can you come back tomorrow and fix me up with a rabbit and hmmm....  a little broccoli would be  a nice side dish.   I beg of you - I need rabbit! 

Okay I know this is all going down through mental telepathy but it seems he is really talking to me.

An idea flashes through my mind and seems the perfect way to tell if we really are communicating






 I say to the owl - "Look - if you are really speaking to me and really desiring a meal of rabbit - some how let me know, give me a sign - any sign will do - maybe you can wink at me. 


And then... I knew for sure we were talking.  Now I need to go find some rabbit.







THE END.

7 comments:

cat's momma said...

HAHAHAHAHA...now how are you going to get a rabbit for this owl for dinner? If you don't show up with it, he'll never trust you again.

Out of Sight L said...

that poor old but beautiful Owl must be a little off his rockers we protect small and big animals we do not feed them to owls, who are so wise,I think he just wanted to joke around a little with you, but then he winked, ah what lovely stories you make up, love the photos, love the story, you are wonderful dear Sandy!!!

sandy said...

Well - instead - I'll take him my leftovers- a bit of Cesar salad!

I know Lorraine - no way would I feed him rabbit - I love those furry fluffy beings too much - but ahh the ground squirrels that are eating my plants - that's a different story.

JFM said...

LOL!!! I love owls!!! I even collect them...replicas of owls that is ;) But then, dear Sandy...we both know that the birds and animals talk to us...we just need to learn how to listen :)

Gorgeous photos!!!

sandy said...

thanks Jan!

Out of Sight L said...

also you'd make a wonderful children's books writer...and you could use you photos as images in the book, you'd be quite the sensation ;)

sandy said...

thanks Lorraine! I've thought of that over the last few years but I'm kind of lazy - I usually get good ideas but have less than good follow through with them.