Friday, September 5, 2014

A GREAT EGRET NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH

I had to research a bit on this -  some immature blue  herons and the snowy white egret along with this white  egret is confused by people a lot of the time - according to what I've read.

Anyway - this is a Great Egret - because of the orange beak but the legs are black and so are the feet.

The immature blue  heron has kind of green legs and dark tipped bill but they can be white - and in the distance may look like a great egret.

But..then you have cattle egrets - well that's a different bird and as far as I know I haen't seen one.

Sometimes a white egret will be called a white heron -

oh enough of that...it gets confusing.

Here are pictures of this white egret or white heron seen at the lake yesterday.  Hardly any people and several herons - both great blue and white.


 I'm curious - do the egrets like to hang with the ducks and coots or do they like to hang with the egret.





 it's a big lake but here they are hanging together.












4 comments:

cat's momma said...

My opinion is the egret is a loner and just ignores the other birds at the ocean at least. Often I will see just one egret and sometimes just one heron and they will be surrounded by seagulls, cormorants, etc., and they just in slow motion stalk their food source and ignore everything else around them. I especially love the one of the egret in flight! They are all nice though.

sandy said...

I love loners - and I love the way they walk so graceful. You probably get to see them a lot at the coast but it's such a treat to see them here.

cat's momma said...

I NEVER get tired of seeing egrets or herons! I take way too many pictures of them too. Usually there is only one of them among the other birds, so they definitely stand out.

Out of Sight L said...

These are so lovely each one of them, maybe they're like people not two are alike...imagine know all the species by sight, I bet one day you'll be the one who knows all the birds, and egrets and herons, bravo Sandy!