Thursday, May 15, 2014

SNOWY EGRET

Egrets and Herons - they look so much alike.   This is a snowy egret because of the yellow feet and black beak.  It is smaller than the Great Egret. 

Scott Simmons writes "  I became interested in birding and bird photography largely because of the beauty of herons and egrets, or what is known as the family Ardeidae (herons, egrets and bitterns). Herons and egrets are not biologically distinct from each other; an egret is basically a heron with pretty breeding plumage pretty--pretty enough that they were hunted to near extinction in order to make feather hats in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Of the species of Ardeidae commonly found in the United States, there are three species of Egret that are typically white in color as adults. I thought it would be helpful to show pictures of all three to help you distinguish between them.

 This helped me to identify the differences.

Anyway I posted some Egret photos several days ago - the egret standing in such blue blue water -

This time - I had taken these photos later in the day and the reflections were different.  I love to just take the time to watch these birds walk through the water - they always look so graceful.





Here the water was reflecting a bit differently.





Depending on what the clouds were doing above - the water changed colors.




Although once in awhile in they look a little clumsy.  



5 comments:

cat's momma said...

I love to watch these birds, too, because they move so slowly and purposefully; and when they take flight they are quietly graceful. Beautiful reflections in the water too.

Unknown said...

"Birds, Bees, Blossoms - Part II" has been included in Sites To See #370. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/05/sites-to-see-370.html

Out of Sight L said...

He is beautiful as all your photos are, I am amazed every time and soothed, there are places in the world where only beauty reside, and you share it. Thank you...And re above comment from Jerry I couldn't be more thrilled

sandy said...

wow thanks so much Jerry! and thanks Laura and Lorraine.

Margie said...

Such beautiful birds, wonderful shots, sandy.