Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A DIFFICULT IDENTIFICATION



I posted a photo earlier of this bird a few posts back.  Here are the rest of the photos I got of him that day.  I spent quite a while figuring out what this is.

As far as I can tell it is a spotted sandpiper.

Here is what I read..

"The dapper Spotted Sandpiper makes a great ambassador for the notoriously difficult-to-identify shorebirds. They occur all across North America, they are distinctive in both looks and actions, and they're handsome. They also have intriguing social lives in which females take the lead and males raise the young. With their richly spotted breeding plumage, teetering gait, stuttering wingbeats, and showy courtship dances, this bird is among the most notable and memorable shorebirds in North America."

There are "greater and lesser yellowlegs" that look a lot like this - and when it is said that the spotted sandpiper  is a difficult to identify bird, that is so true.  It also looks like a yellow leg.

Anyway, here are the rest of the photos.  These were taken at Hesperia Lake where I also got a few pelican photos the same day as well as Goose babies. 












3 comments:

cat's momma said...

Well, it is a handsome bird!

Margie said...

Wonderful shots and as your sister said, handsome!

Out of Sight L said...

Awesome you, wonderful photos backed up with facts I like that ...I'm lazy I like I shoot...lol good for you Sandy