Friday, September 18, 2015

RED SHAFTED NORTHERN FLICKER


One of my favorite back yard birds - the northern flicker.  I love seeing them fly around, especially when you catch a peek at the underside of their tail feathers which are orangish red.   They hang around a lot on the ground under the trees eating bugs but just as often are on the suet basket I hang from the tree- they love "peanut" suet the best.  During the summer I would keep suet in four separate baskets and was refilling the baskets about every three days - all the birds were taking their turns at the suet, even birds I didn't realize would eat it.

They've tapered down now and I think it's because of the weather and leaving the area for migration to wherever some of them are headed.  This Northern Flicker will be here all year.

Suet is good for giving them energy and during winter when it's cold they will be gobbling this stuff down.









7 comments:

cat's momma said...

Wow, amazing photos!

Linda said...

Absolutely gorgeous, I love the markings and details on this lovely bird!

Linda said...

Absolutely gorgeous, I love the markings and details on this lovely bird!

Ygraine said...

Wow...I have never seen these beautiful birds before...such gorgeous little creatures!
Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful photos, Sandy...they really are amazing.:))

Have a great weekend! xoxoxo

sandy said...

they are such a pretty bird! Thanks Ygraine. U have a good weekend too!

sandy said...

thanks Linda - I have to find one that shows the underside of their tail feathers - its' striking.

sandy said...

thanks L...