There are so many versions of white crowned sparrow. I was researching them and while some are more gray - others have very light bodies. Some have thicker beaks than others. I gave up trying to remember in what geographic areas, different looking white crowned sparrows show up. I think it's more information than I need to know.
I don't desire to become an expert at identifying birds ...that would take a lifetime especially when you get into birds in other parts of the world. I just want to be able to identify local birds I see and if I could identify them by the sound they make I would be happy. That is not something I can do yet - only a few - that have really distinctive calls. Hard to miss the Northern Flicker's call, the stellar jay, raven, crow, goldfinch and the ever funny acorn woodpecker.
My walk around the lake over the last two days was exciting - A different shore bird had shown up- I am still trying to identify it - it has really long legs and a curve up long beak - so far it doesn't look like anything I've researched - and its' legs are blue, unlike the pink legs that the "stilt" has - although it's legs are quite long - similar to the "stilt". I also thought I was photographing an eagle but once I got my pictures loaded on the computer I realized I was all excited over catching an osprey (not saying they are beautiful...but....)...
12 comments:
I see a lot of Ospreys and have been mistaken before, thinking they were some other large bird. I think they're good looking birds though. Your photos are wonderful of of the white-crowned sparrow. Glad to hear you have been able to take those long walks around the lake lately!
Your photos are gorgeous, Sandy, as is your header. :)
I agree, absolutely gorgeous photos, Sandy...and the white-crowned sparrow is another bird I have never seen, so many thanks for this introduction to a really beautiful little bird! :))
Oh, they are lovely creatures.
Wow! Gorgeous photos, Sandy!
Love birds!
Your header photo is so beautiful too!
This bird looks like a sparrow, though our Dutch sparrow are brownish if they are female, the male ones have more white feathers.
Thanks for your visit to my house. Your header is brilliant!
Wil, ABCW Team.
Hi Wil - this is a white crowned sparrow. I am amazed how many different varieties of sparrows there are.
Thanks Sonia.
thanks Lux - have a great day.
Hi Ygraine - he is a favorite of birds among many for me.
thanks Linda - ...I enjoyed your videos today. u have a happy place.
Hi Laura - ...Some day I will learn the difference of their wing span when they are high in the air - then I will know what I'm seeing.
Post a Comment