Saturday, April 9, 2016

TWO FRIENDS FROM SEVERAL YEARS AGO - PIGEON AND GROUND SQUIRREL AT MORRO BAY

The day this was  taken is as fresh in my memory as yesterday is.  My sis and her husband and Mike and I were standing near some rocks at Morro Bay State Beach when these two were near my feet as I looked down.  I remember one squirrel was actually beginning to nibble on my jeans near my ankle.
There's always something exciting to see in Morro Bay.  I need to go back.


What a day - beautiful soft rain and about 10 minutes ago the skies broke open and what a downpour!




and in my yard yesterday one of the first ground squirrels I've seen for spring.  They were absent all winter.  Tree squirrels have been here year around and eating much of the bird seed I put out.

Ground squirrels are a little more polite.



11 comments:

Magyar said...

Great photos! Especially that communication between the pigeon and the ground squirrel.

__My only discomfort with squirrels is when they raid our bird feeders, and oh... do I have some stories!
__Chipmunks? I'd load a ground-dish with sunflower seeds, as Kathy and I sat to read, and overlooked the pond. When that dish emptied too early, a 'munk would climb my jeaned leg, and sit upright with its front legs crossed and clasped_! Our understanding was that the 'munk was telling me, in an unquestionably sour attitude, that I had "fallen down" on my job_! My mind heard "keep the da-gum dish filled_!" Of course, I often let the dish become quickly emptied on purpose. Smiles_!
_m

sandy said...

Oh...love your story of the "munk". I've had the squirrels come up to the slider door and sit on their hink legs and do that clapping thing they do... They are fun to watch. I know what you mean about the feeders. Their acrobatics are crazy - they can get to almost any feeder.

Linda said...

Your photos are lovely and delightful, Sandy, and I absolutely love your header!

cat's momma said...

I clearly remember that day too because I got some photos of it myself. It just seemed so unusual.

We are having a tough time staying inside also because of this being one of the most beautiful spring season for about five years! We have only had 17 hundredths of an inch so far but we have been under a cloud cover which makes for great photos and cool walks with big cloud formations.

Honest Abe Lincoln said...

Yes, I like squirrels too and feed them--ten in front this morning and at least that many in the back yard during the day today. My oak tree gave me a huge supply of nuts last summer and I am hoping it will do it this year.

RamblingWoods2.com said...

Thank you so much for the nice comment on my blog... It has been over 9 years and I wondered if my info was useful. My late friend was a wildlife rehabber and she loved squirrels and told me what great Moms they are carefully covering up their babies with grasses... Michelle

sonia a. mascaro said...

Just lovely photos, Sandy! The pigeon and the squirrel are amazing!
I agree with Linda, your header is gorgeous!

Lisabella Russo said...

Adorable photographs! The squirrels seem so inquisitive!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

This really warms my heart...such a smile-inducing group of photos :) an unlikely pair of friends. Greetings from Germany :)

Ygraine said...

Yes, this really does touch the heart, doesn't it?
Such stunning pictures...oh wow!! :))

sandy said...

thank you everyone.